Whose image is this? I want to cite!
Personally, I find a more helpful word for this card to be rebirth. After a period of trial and perhaps difficulty you are called to stand Judgement and Judgment is passed favorably upon you. You have passed the test. Moving into a sense of completion, you transform into a new form or vision of being.
Undergoing radical alteration creates a more expansive, wise, and vibrant self. All past mistakes and accompanying attachments fall away as you start anew in a the bright light of a new day.
Judgement calls us when we have really decided to move on; its the dawn after the divorce is finally filed after a long and trying marriage, the job left so we can truly find our calling. The call of Judgement is the overpowering sense of the Source giving us hope and allowing us to begin again like spring.
"Come, come whomever you are, worshipers, wanderers, or lovers of leaving... Ours is not a caravan of despair...come, come again, come."-- Rumi
1. I know the Source is working in my life because...
2. Undergoing radical alteration would look and feel like...
3. I am ready to let go of the following baggage, guilt and attachments...
4. I believe that every day is a new day to begin again, tomorrow I endeavor to...
I love 10/cups because it often represents happiness and joy shared with family, friends and your community. When joy is shared it only magnifies into brilliant prisms of possibility. And most of our joyous thoughts and memories often are with others or for others.
Joy can never be a selfish thing and it is infectious, a beautiful baby smiling lights up a room; we cannot help but be caught by the bug of joy.
This slideshow on the Definitions of Joy truly highlight the act of joy in community. We want to share our happiest moments with others, screaming at the top of our lungs, "I love her!" or getting down on one knee in a crowded restaurant, we cannot resist inviting others into our happiness.
The other part of this equation is sharing in the joy and good fortune being experienced by others, knowing that as happiness radiates from them, so too, does it shine upon us.
1. When others are experiencing happiness and good fortune I respond in the following ways...
2. Are you present-focused when you are in a state of bliss? If not, why not?
3. When you are in a state of joy, how do you share it with others?
4. What can you do to increase more moments of joy, happiness and well-being? (hint: don't know? check the slideshow!)
4/wands is often called completion. Perhaps that opportunity, that relationship, a job or so on has reached a new level of stability and understanding and now you can take a deep breath and celebrate the milestone you have achieved. Perhaps your friends and family are there to recognize your success with you, welcoming you home with garlands of flowers you enjoy this joyous carefree time.
Success of this type can often mean attaining something that is true to who you are and the feeling is expansive. When we feel expansive and open we might also feel carefree, excited and open minded.
If you do not feel you are at this point yet in regards to an aspect of your life, visioning this time later on in your daily meditations will help its actual manifestation into your life.
1. Do you allow yourself to celebrate your successes? Do you take compliments and attention from those who love you well, or do you turn the praise aside?
2. What are you working on that is an expression of your truth?
3. Do you visualize the act of completion and celebration now? Is your mind tuned towards positive outcomes or negative worries in regards to this project?
4. What will completion of this project look like for you?
3/wands speaks to the part of ourselves who are the leaders, the dreamers, who see long term opportunities down the road. Look out across the far horizon and see what opportunities are in store for you.
3/wands indicates a time of continued growth, strategic long term visioning and stepping back to see the forest for the trees especially in terms of work, projects, and all kinds of creative endeavors.
Expansion is possible but keep a keen eye on the overarching tone and message of your expression. Make sure everything is in alignment for your continued success. 3/wands can also indicate a time when we are focusing too much on small details.
1. I have been overly focusing on these details but I am not sure how they are connected to the overall view of my success...
2. When I think about next steps for my personal growth, this is the plan I would like to implement for myself.
3. Sometimes what I want and what I do are not in alignment. Here are some areas of my life that I need to change so that they are in alignment with what I ultimately want for myself.
4. This is where I am heading...
A. Echevarria, "4P" Watercolor on Dollar Note
In its most basic sensibility 4/pentacles is the card of greed. The picture I chose for this card is in fact not a card at all but a painted one dollar bill. Clicking on the picture will take you to a fabulous art installation where all the art is based on the dollar bill. This painting closely mirrors the traditional picture of a man trying to hold onto his pentacles, but if he moves, they begin to tumble and he loses control.
Perhaps you have everything, but at what cost?
Maybe you have the two door garage, the large suburban home, the SUV, and you work like a dog to keep them all and then a hurricane comes, a lay off comes and you realize that those things are really just an illusion.
So what is left in this scenario? Your health, your loved ones, your dignity, your education, things that transcend, things that are truly precious. You begin to work less, to take more time off, to truly take the vacation you have earned, start taking piano lessons, paint again, see your life from one of abundance, live simply, live fully; begin to let go of trying to control everything and fill that hungry soul for true connection and deep experience. Don't wait until you are retired, fill up that hungry soul now.
1. I am afraid that I will lose the following if I do not maintain control...
2. This is what I have or keep payments on that is more about keeping up with Joneses than anything else...
3. A simple life, a frugal life with less things and more time would look like...
4. I wish I had the time to learn or do...
6/Swords indicates a time of healing and processing after trauma. Not quite out of the woods yet, we blearily make our way to the light.
Maybe we feel unsure about our next steps; perhaps the only thing we know is we survived and things will get better.
As we move towards a healthy place, we still may be sad or regretful over what was but hope is like a beacon off in the distance. You know you will move towards something better, you know you deserve something better. Many traditional cards depict a person directing the boat. Not much is talked about this person but I find this is an indication that when we are at our most bereft, we are never alone. Spirit always carries us over the gap. Your only job is to learn hard lessons and get better.
1. I have been struggling getting over this issue in my life.
2. I am experiencing and processing trauma around this issue in the following ways...
3. I am being gentle with myself and hopeful about my future in the following ways...
4. I know Spirit is carrying me over the gap because...
There is nothing like the honest goodwill and kindness of a child. Without guile, agenda or motives a pure act of kindness: a picked flower, a beautiful rock, a hug from a young one, can change a bad mood into a good one. 6/cups is about kindness, experiencing joy, innocent pleasures acts of giving, and childhood.
It is true that the act of giving feels great and when we do something to lift someone's spirits we also feel happy, too. It can be as small as paying for someone's coffee down the line, filling the parking meter with an extra quarter; small acts of generous grace uplift everyone, especially the giver.
This card is also about children and childhood so spending time with a young loved one helps remind us of the wee little one we once were. Play and imagination are needed throughout our lives and if we need a boost a child will show the way.
1. Today I committed a random act of kindness, here is what I did... it made me feel...
2. I want to create more kindness in my community, here is a plan to do so...
3. One of my favorite childhood fantasy was... my imagination took me to the following places...
Stock can both mean investments, inventory, livestock and the main stem of a plant. I find it interesting that 7/Pentacles usually depicts a man overseeing the fruits of his labor as we see both the stocks that the pentacles are hanging from as well as the stock of fruit and seeds to increase prosperity later on.
7/Pentacles is a rest in the bee-like amassing of good fortune in the pentacles suit. It is time to take stock, assess your progress, realign efforts towards what is working and abandon what does not. Things are growing but we are not there yet. We may be hungry or frustrated with the harvest that has not yet come to pass.
1. What do you need to assess in your life right now, what is working and what is not?
2. What isn't working and how will you change your strategy?
3. What is working and what are your next steps?
4. What is the big picture goal for you right now and do your steps take to or away from that goal?
8/cups usually depicts a person walking away from standing cups towards the mountains in the evening. He has many cups, but still he is not satisfied, striking out into the unknown he searches for his truth.
Walking away from the known yet unfulfilling thing requires great courage. The greatest visionaries and spiritual leaders in our collective human history started with the great and difficult act of walking away; walking away from the job, the title, the nice life and into the desert to follow a call he could not ignore. Sometimes the leaving is not easy and can be a lonely thing to do, others will not understand and perhaps even judge but to stay means to deny the truth shining brightly within the deepest part of our heart. To stay would mean ignoring a fundamental part of who we are.
1. What do you need to walk away from? What are you unsatisfied about?
2. What will it take to for you to walk away?
3. What part of your Truth is hungering to be let out?
4. Who will you most likely disappoint in the process or
The Devil often appears in a reading when we are indulging in something that is not good for us. The Devil represents temptation, obsession, control, the easy over the right path, giving into sexual urges of a dark nature as well as the being the little devil on your shoulder (i.e. your critic) who works to derail you.
As much and as tempting it is to think of the Devil as an entity outside of ourselves, the Devil more often than not can be found in the closest mirror. Within each of us is the eternal struggle of good over bad from the littllest things (did you let the person into your lane this morning?) to the most earth shattering things that we all know and may be participating in now.
The power of the Devil truly lies in the ability to tempt. The chocolate cake, the accidental windfall, the handsome neighbor across the street are full of pleasure... so hard to say no! So hard to do the right thing! It is sometimes an act of great will to turn down something so easy, so well-paying, so....sexy. But do it we must because otherwise we would lose our sense of integrity, our self worth, our connection to Light.
1. Right now I am being tempted by...
2. I am having a hard time resisting the temptation because...
3. I use the following tools to help me resist that which I know is not good...
4. I allowed the Devil into my life before and while it initially felt great it all fell apart when...
Subscribe below to get my daily blog posts right in your email!